Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A Fire Ant's Adventure

The ant mound was in a total state of shock. The queen, the mighty Queen Ira, had been kidnapped. The crazy eight-eyed black widow spider, Rivana, had tricked her into coming out of her chamber by posing as a beautiful flower. The queen herself ordered the guards to take a leave of absence that night. The mound council called an immediate emergency meeting to plan the rescue. They knew the task would not be easy since the spider’s web was across the backyard. Many tribulations and obstacles would need to be conquered to rescue the beautiful Queen Ira. Only on ant possessed the skill to rescue the queen. It was the strong red fire ant Zane. The mound lit the flames signaling the mighty ant. The rescue was on.



Source: FoxNews


Zane brought only his best troops and his brother along for this dangerous mission. This was more personal to him than anyone realized. Zane and Queen Ira had grown up in the same mound and had a past of friendship and passion. He was an ant on a mission. With weapons sharpened, the group started their trek to Rivana’s web knowing very well that he knew that they would be coming.

After marching halfway across the yard, Zane felt a chill run down all of his legs. He knew they were being watched by something, but he did not know by whom. As he led the formation, he heard a large rumble behind him along with screams from his troop. The last ant in line was squirming around in the hands of an enormous praying mantis. His name was Khamton. The ants moved into attack formation before launching wooden spears into the giant praying mantis. Spears broke as they hit the rough hide of the enemy. All seemed lost until Zane took out his secret weapon, a holy staple given to him bythe mighty beetle Shimma. He slid under the legs of Khamton, jumped on its back, and cut off the mighty praying mantis’s head. Zane stood atop his fallen enemy. Rivana, revengeful, jumped on his speedy dragonfly and flew into the battle with thousands of spiders at his side.



Source: Metro


As Zane and the ants fought off all the spiders with his mighty staple, Rivana decided to counter the troop of ants. Zane sensed this with his antennas and turned around just as Rivana attacked. Rivana launched a string of web towards Zane, sticking the first ant to the ground. His brother quickly cut the web, freeing Zane. Rivana nosedived his dragonfly towards Zane, trying to use the speed to defeat Zane. Zane, at the last second, jumped to the side and launched his staple into the stomach of Rivana. Rivana fell to the ground, dead.

With the eight-eyed spider now dead, the Queen was now free. Zane untied the royal captive, looking deeply into the eyes of the beautiful queen. Zane spoke sweet words to his old love, “My queen, my love. You have been dearly missed. You are the light in my eye. Forever and ever I will serve you with love and affection.” Taken back, Queen Ira walked away from Zane with guards surrounding her. She knew of her responsibilities to the mound and that she could never marry the rugged Zane. Zane was heartbroken, but he understood her decision


As the years passed, Queen Ira thought of Zane, and Zane thought of Queen Ira.The two yearned to be together but would never cross paths again. As both of the ants took their last breaths, they slowly slipped into a dream of a wonderful land. The land was full of flowers and the best meals on Earth, crumbs. They both were in heaven, together. At last, the two ants could spend eternity together. 

 Author Notes: I received inspiration for this tale from the Ramayana. It followed the parts B, C, and D. I utilized the story of Rama and Sita being in love and wanting to always be together. While the ten-headed Ravana is portrayed by Rivana, the eight-eyed spider. I played off the physical appearance of Ravana. These two are very similar throughout the story. I, however, did not include the part where Lakshmana hurts his sister. He kidnaps the beloved Sita from Rama, and Rama attacks the rakshasa to rescue her. This is exactly what I wanted to accomplish in my story with the ants and spider. Also, the praying mantis Khamton resembled the giant Khumhakarna and his mighty battle with Rama (Zane). Khumhakarna was important in the original Ramayana because it was a great battle that showed Rama's strength. I thought about potentially making Zane and the Queen get together immediately unlike the original Ramayana. This would have made a better dynamic but I wanted to stay true to that part of the story. Overall, the story from when Sita was kidnapped on was very interesting to me and that is where I got my overall inspiration. Thanks for reading.

Source: Bibliography: Ramayana, The Epic of Rama, Prince of India, condensed into English verse by Romesh Dutt (1899). 

5 comments:

  1. Trevor, your portfolio is looking like it is coming along nicely. I think it will be more and more interesting as the semester goes on to see the different stories you decide to add to your story. I think that by the end of the semester this portfolio will be something that you can be proud of. Good job on the introduction formatting.
    As for your story, it was wonderful! It reminded me a lot of the animated movie, Bug's Life. If you have not seen it than I highly suggest it. I think if I had to make one suggestion it would be to take out the spider picture. Spiders really creep me out and I think that black widows could be on the top of that list but other than that it was a great overall read. Good job!
    I look forward to reading more from your portfolio.

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trevor, as with your other portfolio story I read this one was is very interesting and intriguing. I definitely saw the parallels between your story and the Ramayana. I immediately knew that Rivanna the eight-eyed spider was your reflection of Ravana the ten-headed antagonist of the Ramayana. I also enjoyed how there was a similar story plot with your story and the kidnapping that occurred in the Ramayana. And in the end we see that the protagonist comes out on top. I always find it interesting how people retell stories from our readings. For example, some people bring the stories up to date with modern themes. However, I like your example of bringing a similar conflict to the animal kingdom or rather the "ant's kingdom." All in all, I greatly enjoyed your story and look forward to reading more of your work that makes your portfolio section. If you have time check out some of my stories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trevor,

    First of all great work on this story.

    Beginning with the changes you made, I like how you switched the characters to insects. I haven't read a story with such unique character switching yet, it's once of the reasons I chose this story from your portfolio. Switching Ravana to a spider was a particularly great change. I also like how you cut out some of the controversy from the original story, that is Lakshmana hurting his sister. I agree with you that keeping the original ending is not as "clean" in terms of telling a happy ending to your story, but I also recognize the want to stay as close to the original as possible.

    Thanks so much for sharing your portfolio. I really enjoyed this story and I look forward to reading more of your work in this upcoming semester. Good luck with the rest of this class.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the kingdom of Greed and the Fire Ants Tale. Both stories had spelling errors that need to be adjusted (Greed paragraph 2 “he could [throw not though] it over the nearby mountain.” Ant paragraph 1 “Only [one not on] ant possessed the... “ I loved the picture of the ant and the mantis. It really gave a great visual from the start. I liked the ant story because I like stories with animals rather than humans.

    I like the adjectives you bring into your stories to bring the audience in. The stories aren’t just being recited like some of the other portfolios (the comment about warm red wine in Greed). I loved the fact that you used a holy staple in this story too. That was a ton of fun to read. I also liked that you ended it with both of them being in heaven together. This was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Trevor!

    I was intrigued by the description of this story on Laura’s list of projects, as it was really different from anything I ever write. Overall, I really enjoyed it.
    It seems like sometimes when making massive changes to a story in terms of characters and settings, some information can really get lost in the shuffle—this was not an issue at all for you! You did a wonderful job of crafting your own unique characters based on the readings, while still keeping a semblance of the story that inspired you. It was incredibly creative to use insects as your characters! The idea of an ant army and an evil spider villain translated so well into the Ramayana.
    You did a wonderful job describing the action! I could totally picture (with the help of the Bug’s Life movie imagery) the ants flinging their little wooden spears at the large mantis. It’s hard enough to create a detailed description of battle with people—I imagine it would be even harder to do with ants and spiders. I am so impressed with how you pulled it off! I also really liked that you sort of juxtaposed the roles of “Zane” and the “Queen”; instead of Zane leaving the Queen like Rama left Sita, it was sort of nice to see it the other way around (but on better terms).
    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete