Saturday, February 20, 2016

Storytelling Week 2: The Kingdom of Greed

King Dakin slammed the tankard on the table in celebration.  He was the most powerful king in all the kingdoms and he had just heard news of his first boy being born. As King Dakin finished the warm red wine, the rest of his council around him sang the kingdom’s hymn with celebration for the future king. Once finished, Dakin walked up the stone staircase to his chamber to meet his exhausted wife, Kiya, holding a sweet little boy. With a quick swift of the king’s massive hands, the little prince was in the arms of his father. King Dakin looked down in awe at his new boy and muttered, “Welcome to the world, Khal.”



Source: Castle 

As the years passed Khal grew into his large frame. He became known as one of the strongest men in the kingdom, even rivaling his father. He quickly became an expert with the long-blade sword, and even better with an eight-foot spear. It was rumored he could through it clear over the nearby mountain.  All the boys in the kingdom envied his strength and swordsmanship. By the time he was eighteen, he had seven siblings: six sisters and one half brother who was a hundred moons younger. The brother was born to his father’s mistress Harriet, which brought many issues to the kingdom. The question of which son would come into power and be the great king would now be an issue. Khal’s brother’s name was Kaydo. 

Now the half-brothers got along most of the time, but Kaydo was consumed with the greed of wanting to be the king instead of his brother. Furthermore, Harriet desired her son Kaydo to become king instead of Khal. They conspired a plan to kill the king and pin it on the eldest prince. The mother and son wrote the plans on a scroll in order to give to one of the guards that hated King Dakin as much as they. The guard would ensure that the men protecting the king when the assassination was going on would not stop the plan. The plan would be implemented  on the first hunt of the winter months.

Finally, on a cold winter night, the King went on a hunting trip with the two boys for sport. The men crept along the frozen stream, swords and spears in hand. Just when they were about to give up, they heard a rumbling noise in the distance. Out of nowhere jumped a huge boar with tusks longer than the spear Khal possessed. As the boar attacked the king, Khal launched his spear with blistering speed into the side of the boar’s head. The boar let out a deafening cry as it took its last breath. The king, breathing heavily, grinned at Khal looking at their hunting feat. Just as Khal and King Dakin embraced in victory, Kaydo slid his sword into the back of the King, mortally wounding him. Khal yelled out in horror, seeing his father fall down and breathe his last breath. Kaydo quickly turned his attention towards Khal.  He tried to give him the same fate as the King. In disbelief, Khal picked up his bloody spear out of the boar and in utter anger threw his spear into Kaydo’s stomach. Kaydo was slowly dying as Khal peered down at him. Kaydo realized what a terrible mistake it was to try and take over the kingdom from the brother and father that he loved. Greed and his mother’s advice had gotten in the way of what was truly important: family. . As he lay there dying, he spoke to Khal.



Source: Hog


“Khal, trying to murder our father is the worst decision I have ever made. My crooked mother Harriet persuaded me and forced me to commit these crimes. There is a scroll in my chamber that has the details of our plan written out. Goodbye, my brother, I will miss thee.”

Khal, in despair, walked back to the kingdom and then directly to Kaydo’s room. He turned Kaydo’s chamber upside down, finally locating the scroll. As he entered the kitchen, he looked right into Harriet’s face and dropped the scroll onto the table. In utter disbelief that Khal had located the scroll, the mistress broke down crying for she knew of her fate, death. Khal, in his mercy, spoke the words: “You shall be banished to the forest for every moon until darkness.” 

As Kaydo wept for what happened, he realized he was now the King. He had to be what everyone thought he was, a strong and intelligent King. As he walked out of the kitchen and onto the balcony, he looked out at his new kingdom where his father would no longer reside. He was  ready for a new beginning. 



Author's Note: My inspiration for the Prince Khal is of Rama and his excellent wielding of weapons, along with his strength and knowledge. In the Ramayana, Kaikeyi exploits King Dasaratha by forcing him to exile Rama. This is because she wants her son Bharata to be the king instead of Rama. This parallels my story in that the mother of the younger brother wants her son to be king. However, Bharata is very loyal to Rama unlike Kaydo with Khal. I wanted Khal to be like Rama, so he had sympathy for his father’s mistress. Instead of killing her, he banishes her. This is inspired by Rama himself because he is a very forgiving and empathetic king. This was great to include in my story because I feel that empathy is one of the best characteristics of a king. Khal is now the king of all these kingdoms as he watches the woman be exiled. Also, the mistress (Harriet) trying to make her son a king is inspired by Kaikeyi in the original Ramayana. Unlike in my story, though, Kaikeyi does not want to kill the king, but simply wants to get rid of the next in line key. Khal is very similar to Rama, but I do not think Rama would have killed his brother. The circumstances were different, though, so we do not know how Rama would have acted. Furthermore, I have gained inspiration for my story from the Game of Thrones book/movie series. Robert Baratheon, the king, is accidentally killed in a hunting trip. He is killed by the hog they are hunting, but in my story I changed what happened. I changed it into making the king be killed by the people he is with. 


Bibliography: Mackenzie, Donald, "Kaikeyi and Dasharatha." (1913). Web Source: Project Gutenberg

Martin, George, Game of Thrones.1996. Publisher: Bantam Books

8 comments:

  1. Trevor, this was another great story to read. I like how Prince Khal is similar to Rama in the fact that he has mastery of many different weapons. I also enjoyed seeing the parallel between the wife of the king with the younger brother wanted her son to have the throne and the Ramayana. It was very clear to me and I would have known that was what you were trying to portray even if you hadn't spelled it out for us in your author's note. I do like how you give the story a twist though that is included in your story. It is neat that some of the setting and characters of your story were inspired from the Game of Thrones series. I have not gotten into it myself, but I hear a lot of people love it. I am intrigued to watch it now so I can even get another perspective to view your characters in the story. I look forward to reading more of your stories that make it to your portfolio. Thanks for sharing!
    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, Trevor

    Let me start off by saying that this story was awesome! I enjoyed it and I like how you resembled Rama in Prince Khal but you also made sure to make a difference between both characters. I also like how you altered Kaydo from Bharata. Bharata is actually one of my favorite characters I have encountered in these stories and I enjoy hearing about him again. Your story is more “peaceful” than the Ramayana and I like that because you don’t need mass killings and betrayals to portray negative moments in a story. I wonder how other characters such as Hanuman and Sugriva would have been portrayed in your story. I like the images you used. The image of the castle is a good way to grab the reader’s attention. If I may suggest something I would suggest to break uo the paragraphs. Personally I am afraid to read long thick paragraphs. I feel like it takes away from the enjoyment of reading the story. Overall, I love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trevor,

    I appreciate your detailed Author's note. I am usually very bad about writing enough information in my notes. It really helped me remember parts of the story that I had forgotten about. I am not familiar with The Game of Thrones so I could not see the parallel. I may be interested in learning more about the story now. I am also impressed with the images you used. I can see you put in a lot of effort into your story by even the images. You are very creative and a talented writer. I would agree with the previous comment. It looks very daunting to have large paragraph and such small print especially without double spaces. Overall, you have a great story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Trevor,
    Your story “A Fire Ant’s Adventure,” was such a fun story to read! Your picture of the ant and the praying mantis was absolutely perfect! Your description of the ant-spider battle was so creative and interesting! I could definitely see the inspiration from the Ramayana, and I think you accomplished your goal with this story! I also really liked seeing how you modified your story to fit the “ant dynamic” – a queen ant cannot be with on single ant man, she has a duty to uphold.
    “The Kingdom of Greed” was such a heart-wrenching story. I was so sad when I was reading about Harriet and Kaydo’s plan to kill the king – and then when Kaydo actually went through with it, gee! You have such a talent at describing scenes so that the reader can actually feel that they are living out the story themselves! I can only imagine the hurt that Khal must have went through, but was happy to see him step up to the plate to be the king his people needed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trevor, I chose to read your story because I noticed it was a Game of Thrones mashup. I am always interested to see how someone takes that epic show and combines with another style of epics. Personally, I think you found the perfect way to bring the two story lines together. I could definitely pick out the parts that related to Game of Thrones, but I could still find elements of your own personal style.

    Your author's note was a great explanation of all the little bits you incorporated and why. If I didn't know anything about this story prior to reading it then I would have no trouble understanding it. I like the picture of the hog you included because I found it humorous. I wonder if you find other picture to capture one of the final dramatic moments between Khal and Kaydo, of Khal and Harriet.

    Hope this helps, and I look forward to reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trevor,

    Great job on this story. Just from seeing the short summary of it in your portfolio, I knew I had to read it! The first paragraph was really great because you introduced King Dakin and little Khal. I have to say, that paragraph, although short, really seems like one out of a movie, with the King celebrating and then holding his newborn son. Little details like the “stone staircase” or “warm red wine” are great little descriptions that make the story flow in my opinion. One thing that stands out to me from your writing is your use of details of the scenes you are writing about. Whether it was describing what kind of character Khal was or how the boar attacked them, you really did a great job in allowing the reader to visualize just what you wanted. Overall, it is a great story that is similar yet different in its own way from the Ramayana. The only thing I saw that confused me was in the sentence “it was rumored he could through it clear over the nearby mountain.” Was it “throw” it clear over the mountain? Other than that, excellent, excellent story! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story was a great mix of the Indian epics and game of thrones. It is amazing how power hungry everyone seemed to be in these stories, but then again I guess it would be hard not to if you thought you had a chance to become king. The bore hunt was the perfect way to get the king away from his guards and strike, but maybe wasn’t the best idea while Khal was there. I don’t think I would want to be a king, because they seem to drop like flies! I am glad this story had a happy ending with Khal getting the throne and Harriet getting banished to the forest. Death would have been to easy for someone as evil as her. It was also pleasing to see Kaydo realize his mistake and apologize before he died. Again, great job with this story. I look forward to reading more of them from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trevor,

    I really loved your story! It was great! I liked how you compared it to Game of Thrones. That is just fantastic haha. Also- I really like how you followed the plot in the Ramayana but then changed it up some to make it creative and your own original story. I really like how you changed it to show great mercy on the mistress by not killing her instead be exiled. Your story had some great hidden messages in it whether you wanted to add them or not! Khal should have done that to his half brother too! Dah! But I feel like it would have been really hard to watch your own brother kill your father then try to kill you. I am not sure if I could show mercy on someone after that. I definitely would not blame him if he forever held a grudge against him, so I feel like him showing great kindness and mercy to the mistress really sticks out and shows love. What a great story. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete