Friday, February 12, 2016

Week 4 Storytelling: Revenge Will Soon Come

The story begins in the great town of Bihar where two monkey brothers attended the nearby school. The eldest, Vali, was the most popular monkey in the school with all the girls, except one. Her name was Sita and she was dating the younger brother Sugriva. The story begins on a brisk night where Vali simply could not take not having the beautiful Sita any more:

“Sugriva, get up from your nap now! We are going to be late to the dance” Vali screamed up the tree to his younger brother. Vali was irritated.

Sugriva had stayed up all night writing a letter Sita, singing out loud whatever he wrote. They had been dating for a year now and he could not wait to give her the carefully written letter before the school dance. He yelled back at his borther, “I am coming brother! What, did you wake up on the wrong side of the limb today?” Both of them quickly ate their bananas for dinner and swung as quickly as possible to school.

As the two arrived, Sugriva quickly went searching for his Sita while Vali went straight for the food. Sugriva finally saw Sita. “Sita my love! You look so beautiful!” Sita was wearing a long, bright blue dress that went all the way to the ground. The two embraced and Sugriva handed the letter to Sita. As she read the sweet words of her boyfriend tears rolled down her face. As she finished, she looked up and smiled at Sugriva. The two began dancing to the slow paced song that was being played. All was right in the world, except for Vali. He looked at the two with detest. He wanted Sita and he could not understand why she had no interest in him. As he drank a glass of fruit punch, rage poured into him more and more. All of a sudden he snapped.

“Sugriva! You do not deserve such a beautiful woman. I am the most handsome monkey in Bihar and I want what you have!” He quickly sprinted to Vali, hands tightly bound into fists.

Sugriva, in total shock, was not ready for what was happening. He dodged the punch of Vali just in time. The two brothers fought in the middle of the dance as the other students looked in horror. Sita cried out as Sugriva punched his brother and Vali punched back. Sita begged and begged for the two to stop, but all she got in return from Sugriva was, “Shut up Sita!”




Finally, the teachers ran to the two monkeys and broke up the fight. Both bloody, the two were pulled back from each other. Sita could not take what just happened. She did not want to date and love a monkey that was so quick to anger and disrespect to her. She ran up to Sugriva and spoke words that sliced through his heart.

“Sugriva, you were my love. However, your quick reaction to anger and rude comments to me does not make me desire your affections anymore. I am through.”  As tears ran down her face, she walked out of the dance. Never to be seen again by Sugriva.

Sugriva filled with rage! As the teachers let him go. He spoke these words of revenge to Vali. “I do not care what happens in this world, however I do know one thing. You will pay for this one day.” Sugriva walked out of the dance and swung away to a place far, far away to plot his revenge.

To be continued…




Author’s Note: I wrote this story in reaction to the Divine Archer I recently read this past week. I felt the story was very similar to the original Ramayana, therefore I wanted my own twist. I wanted to have more of a connection between the monkeys, Sugriva and Vali, and Sita. Allowing the two to be in love and them end due to Vali will make his revenge even greater when Rama needs help.  I felt that creating a story that connects all three of these characters early on in their lives would help explain why Sugriva even helps Rama get her back in the first place. I am wanting to continue my writing on this in order to apply my own twist to the Ramayna and Divine Archer. The desire to get Sita back from Ravana will be even more because Sugriva actually loves Sita. I plan on applying a major twist in the original story in my upcoming stories. 

Bibliography: The Divine Archer. F.J. Gould. 1911. http://iereadingguides.blogspot.com/2014/05/reading-guide-week-1-gould-divine-archer.html

2 comments:

  1. Trevor,

    I loved this story so much! I love the use of humor and you used it so well throughout. I laughed so much at the “did you wake up on the wrong side of the limb today” part. I loved that you changed up the plot to fit into a high school romance theme. I also really enjoyed how you gave a great backstory to the whole revenge aspect between the brothers in the Ramayana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely one of the best stories I have read this semester. The cliffhanger at the end is going to bother me until you post the next part of the story. Revenger is really fun to read about. It’s sad that Vali couldn’t be happy for his brother and be fine having the rest of the girls in the school. I feel bad for Sugriva. When you describe Vali sprinting at Sugriva you “He quickly sprinted to Vali”. I think this is a typo, so maybe look back at that.

    ReplyDelete