Monday, January 25, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary: Part B

The story of the Ramayana is continuing to get better and better with main plot points being displayed in this day’s readings. I am enjoying seeing the progression of the great Brahma’s plan of killing Ravana come into action with the capture of Sita from the forest. One of my favorite moments thus far in the Wednesday reading is when Shurpanakha and her brother Khara fight the two brothers in the forest. My favorite character is still Rama because I know he will accomplish what the great Brahma wants. He displays his power and selflessness during this battle. When the great ruler of the Danda kingdom sends thousands of troops, Rama tells Sita and Lakshmana to hide in a secret cave in order to be safe. He sacrifices his own life, potentially, in order to save the ones he loves. However, he is victorious and destroys all of the demons and Khara himself, proving he is king worthy. Another moment I find very interesting was when the demon Maricha helps the great Ravana by transforming into a golden deer to enchant Sita to be kidnapped. I really thought this was something I could implement into my own storybook. I definitely want to have rakshasa transform into another being a trick a main character into doing something they would of normally not have done. I can relate this to the Devil forming into a snake to persuade Adam and Eve into eating the forbidden apple. Also, Rama told Lakshama to stay with Sita the entire time and not leave her so she would be safe. Against Rama’s wishes, Lakshama disobeys him and Sita is captured by Ravana. Rama, instead of getting angry at Lakshama, he is forgiving and is only interested in returning his beautiful wife. I find this to be another great quality of Rama and more the reason why he is my favorite character in the Ramayana thus far. Finally, I enjoyed how some of the rakashasas are trapped in their demon bodies, and ultimately want to be set free. I did not understand that this was possible and now I am not quick to judge any demon due to the endless possibilities and circumstances.


Source: Ninapaley
Rama and the Golden Deer (Maricha)


Source: Wikipedia
Rama fighting Viradha



Overall, I am excited to see what Rama and Lakshama do when the encounter Ravana himself and try and safe Sita.



Author: Laura Gibbs

No comments:

Post a Comment