Thursday, January 21, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary: Public Domain version of the Ramayana

I am very interesting in continuing my reading of the Ramayana due to the potential of Rama desiring revenge against Kaikeyi after Dasharatha’s death. The character development of Rama is slowly making him into a hero that will prevail no matter what the obstacles are. My favorite moment thus far in the Ramayana is when Rama and Lakshmana fight the female rakshasa Thataka. This marks the beginning of Rama’s heroism in battle. I feel that all powerful kings first engage in many battles that define who they are. When people hear of these great victories, they fall in love with the hero and want him/her to become their leader. I sense that this is what is happening to Rama as he fights off these demons. Another interesting aspect of the battle that develops the personality of Rama, is his remorse and sympathy for Thataka before he kills her. He does not want to kill a woman, even if she is a demon and a threat to him and his brother. The compassion and leadership of Rama is extremely prevalent because, in my opinion, compassion can be a king’s/leader’s greatest quality. Furthermore, I enjoyed the moment that Rama bent the bow of Shiva to win the beautiful princess of Sita. This further displays Rama’s great power and potential future of ruling the kingdom with a wonderful princess by his side. And yes, it does remind of a fairytale which is why I enjoyed this moment! Finally, I enjoyed Rama’s character because he is very loyal no matter what is asked of him. For example, before Rama is even aware he is being banished, he says,"O Speak and I will obey even if I am asked to quaff poison and die ere my time. My promise is given, and my lips have never lied". This is important in displaying his love for his family and kingdom.



One thing I am curious to read is what happens to the new king Brahata and his mother Kaikeyi. I feel that to push Dasharatha to order his son to exile will not end well for either person. You can tell early on that Rama is the favorite prince and that everyone loves him. You can come to this conclusion by reading what the people say about him in “Heir Apparent”. He is a loving and compassionate man, not quick to judgement (qualities of a great ruler). I think in my stories I want to tell of a young woman or man facing trials, such as deception, him or her becoming triumphant, and ruling the kingdom. I think I will be able to really provide different angles and develop deep emotions of the hero/heroine. 

Rama breaking Shiva's Bow

Author: Laura Gibbs

No comments:

Post a Comment